We are back with another Art Basics post featuring GESSOS this time! Finnabair has three different, AMAZING gesso options in her line: clear, white, and black. Now let's explore what each gesso is, which one to pick, and how to use them!
White Gesso: white gesso is one of the top go-to art mediums. It has so many uses that is is difficult to list them all:
- use as a matte primer on almost any surface-as it provides "tooth" for other mediums to stick to, as well a neutral-colored surface.
- use as a matte white paint with multiple coats.
- fortify a surface that may be fragile for wet application: paper, chipboard, etc.
- mix with mica powder, Art Alchemy paint, etc., to create a colored, chalkboard-like paint.
- mix with art stones to create your own matte, texture medium
- thin with water to create white splatters
Black Gesso: similar to white gesso, but black in color. Try with Opal Magic Paints, Mica Powder, and waxes for amazing results.
Clear Gesso: This product is simply magical! It has all the benefits of white or black gesso, but is totally CLEAR! Think of how many ways you can take advantage of that one property:
- Bible Journaling- cover the thin pages with clear gesso to fortify them and provide a fabulous matte base for stamping, coloring with permanent products.
- Create a Resist Effect: use with a brush, your finger, or over stencils to create a resist design. When non-permanent color is applied on top of Clear Gesso it can be removed allowing the resist pattern to pop through.
- Protect patterned paper: apply over patterned paper, or a photo, to protect it from other art mediums, colored sprays, etc, and allow the true colors to show through.
- Mix with glitter, art sugar, mica powder, etc to create beautiful, slightly tinted effects!
AVAILABILITY: Gessos are available in 8.5 oz jars, (with white gesso also available in a 17 oz jar), and/or smaller 2 oz tubes. You can also purchase a three pack assortment in tubes. Blck and White Gesso are included in the Mixed-Media Essential kit, available at select craft stores, as well. Now that we have explored the different gessos Finnabair has in her line, let's see them in action!
"Prima Gessos are a must-have on my craft desk. For dark projects I use Black Gesso as a primer; for light projects I use the White Gesso. When I need to retain original colors of the elements I use Clear Gesso. On this project I used all the types: Black, White, and Clear. You are welcome to watch the process in my video tutorial below. " ~ Ola
Link to the video: https://youtu.be/OtF3bDQmBNk
Prima Products: Art Basics - 3D Matte Gel (8 fl. oz.) Item: 655350961398, Art Basics - Clear Gesso (8.5 fl. oz.) Item: 655350961466, Art Basics - Heavy Gesso - White (8.5 fl. oz.) Item: 655350961442, Art Basics - Heavy Gesso - Black (8.5 fl. oz.) Item: 655350961459, Art Basics - Soft Gloss Gel (8.5 fl. oz.) Item: 655350961435, Art Basics: Mixed Media Silicone Brush 1" Item: 655350963897, Acrylic Paint Metallique Ancient Coin 1.7oz Item: 655350963057, Art Alchemy - Sparks - Dragon's Eye 50ml Item: 655350964054, Art Alchemy -Heavy Body Acrylic Paint 2.5 FL.OZ.- Impasto Paint – Aubergine Item: 655350964597, Art Alchemy-Acrylic Paint-Metallique Dark Velvet 1.7oz Item: 655350963125, Art Alchemy - Acrylic Paint 1.7 FL.OZ- Metallique - Crocus Fields Item: 655350964474, Art Extravagance - Stone Effect Pastes - Pumice, Limestone, Concrete Item: 655350964368, Art Extravagance- Texture Paste - White Sand (8.5 fl. oz.) Item: 655350961473, Texture Paste - White Crackle (8.5 oz.) Item: 655350961503, Art Ingredients: Mélange Art Pebbles 46pc. Item: 655350963323, Mechanicals: Rustic Washers 7pc. Item: 655350963422, Vintage Mechanicals - Flowers Large Item: 655350960308, Vintage Mechanicals - Bottle Caps Item: 655350960391, Vintage Mechanicals - Vintage Clock Face Small Item: 655350960278, COLOR BLOOM 2 – SUGAR PLUM Item: 655350588816, Color Bloom - Vintage Metal Precious Stone Item: 655350573812, Flowers – Catalina Item: 655350596477, Calcutta Flower(H )Rose Quartz Item: 655350595043
"I like playing with all my gessos, be it black, white, or transparent. On this page, I created a background with my black gesso that I spread out with a knife. Then, I applied gesso (clear) on all the surface of my paper. Finally I spread with a knife my the white gesso. I also used my acrylic spread on my flowers." ~ Jennifer
Prima Products: - Heavy Gesso WHITE #961374, - Gesso Clear #961466, - Heavy Gesso BLACK #961459, - Acrylic Paint MERMAID SPARKLE #964085, - Flowers #596460, - Flowers #595050
Gesso is simply a STAPLE for many papercraft and art projects! If you have questions, or would like to see more features like this, please let us know in the comments below, and we will do our best to help you out!